Registering a custom motorcycle
Home Contact Policies About Us Resources Cart
Bike Kits
  Bike Kits Overview
Custom Chrome
Bike In A Box
Sucker Punch Sallys
Pro One
Twisted Choppers
Washington Choppers
V-twin Replicas
Rolling Chassis
Other Chopper Kits

New Parts
  Quote By Part #
Order Catalogs
Dress Up Items
Front Ends
Handle Bars
Oil Tanks
Motorcycle Saddle Bags
Sheet Metal

Used Parts
  Old Bikes (Pre-Evo)
New Bikes (Evo & Later)
Find parts for me!

  Sale Items
Close Outs


Registering A Custom-Built Motorcycle

By Jason Van Wyhe

One of the most common questions we receive is:
"If I buy a frame or rolling chassis, how do I title it?"

There is no easy answer to this. Each state has different regulations, and you should check with your state's DMV for the procedure you need to follow. But here are the most common procedures:

  1. Technical Requirements
    This varies, but most states require: headlight with low/high beam, horn, left-side mirror, fenders, and turn signals. Some states are sticklers on loud pipes, others will let you slide. It wouldn't hurt to have a set of baffles in your pipes just in case. Same goes for handlebar height - some states have exact measurements from the seat to the top of the bars that must be adhered to, while other may use simple regulations such as "shoulder height", or none at all. Other than that, it just needs to be "road worthy."

  2. Paperwork
    You will need to have an MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) for your motor, transmission, and frame. You will also need receipts for the other parts you used. If you haven't paid sales tax on your parts up to this point, this is where they nail you for that.

    Also, you may have heard about the EPA regulations regarding custom-built bikes. Without going into a lot of detail on this, these laws are directed primarily at professional builders. A home-based builder is allowed one personal exemption in their life, and they must keep the bike 5 years. However, there are ways around this. You can register the bike in a family member's name, or even easier, just use an EPA approved motor (which almost all manufacturers offer for nearly the same price as their regular motors). One final note, most states not named California are not currently enforcing these regulations due to lack of funding. I'm sure this will change in the future, however.

  3. Inspection
    In most states, inspection is done by a DMV employee or a member of the state patrol/police. The knowledge of inspectors varies wildly from state to state, even county to county. Some will have staff dedicated for this purpose, other inspectors will have little or no knowledge. Be prepared to answer their questions, make sure everything works, and most important, have your paperwork in order.

    After inspection, you will either receive a title, or paperwork that will allow you to get a title.

  4. Insurance
    Insuring a custom-built bike can be tricky, so do a little research before you begin. Some frames and rolling chassis are easy to title. A frame from Santee, for instance, will go through with little or no trouble with big companies like progressive. A home built frame, however, may be impossible to title in your state. So do a litte research before you begin building.

That's about all there is to it. If we've missed something or you have state-specific regulations, please share them with us and we will add them to the bottom of this article for everyone's benefit.

©2007 Chopper Surplus. This Article may not be reproduced without the express written consent of Chopper Surplus. It may not be reposted or redistributed on another web site, or any other form of media, or under a different author's name. Feel free to print copies for your personal use, however.

© 2004-2013 Red Dragon Publishing, All Rights Reserved

Home   Contact   Policies   Policies   Resources   Cart   Legal   Bike Kits   New Parts   Used Parts   Specials